Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Buying Hockey Cards In A Blizzard

The greatest temptation in a blizzard in the city
is to go shopping when you should not be out
in the first place

I remember one time I went shopping
at a Woolworths in Des Moines

There was so much good stuff
albums by the 101 Strings Orchestra
A snack bar where you could sip a Coca Cola on tap
and munch an egg salad sandwhich and some wavy chips

I found some Topps Hockey Cards
and it became an impulse buy
In the check out line the woman bitched
because she thought no one had any business
being out

So I opened the Hockey Cards
and let my imagination soar about hockey
how it was so much better in person
with the ice and the pucks and the sticks
and the zamboni between periods

As a child i loved the Saint Louis Blues and the Kansas City Scouts
and the Minnesota North Stars
not to mention the Des Moines Capitols
the live hockey games I went to were few and far between
but I do have my memories

Imagination is enough to drive you out into the blizzard
I wish there was a Woolworths nearby
that would be inspiring

No comments:

Post a Comment